Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Fall Begins Now

So, Fall of Cybertron. Sequel to War for Cybertron, the game comes out next month (I think) and the toys themselves are just now hitting shelves. Just like the WfC toys, the FoC toys are actually part of the new, second iteration of the Generations line, and (thus far) compose all of its releases. This is in contrast to Generations Mk I, which only had five WfC releases amongst many other toys.

Wave one, which only consists of three toys, includes Optimus Prime, Jazz, and Shockwave, all deluxes, Shockwave and Jazz still retain the same designs from the first game, which of course isn't an issue since they never got toys the first time around. Optimus is based on his new design, which looks a bit more like G1 Optimus' Earth mode body, since there's less kibble and whatnot. However, he's also pretty tiny, at least a head smaller than his previous toy, so I declined to purchase it. I don't get why you'd want the newer "upgraded" form to be smaller, so I'm holding out hope that Optimus' new design gets a release in the new Voyager class alongside Soundwave, Grimlock and crew. I also hope Megatron's new design shows up there too, as we've seen no indication that he'll be getting a FoC toy so far.

Jazz I also passed on, as he too is kind of small (though not as small as anticipated) and also very simple in transformation. I may still pick him up sometime, as I don't have a cybertronian mode Jazz, but I'm in no hurry.

I was, however, excited to pick up Shockwave, whose design for WfC/FoC is fantastic. It's very streamlined and low-kibble, but I love the addition of the wings in bot mode, and he's also got one of the coolest cybertronian modes in the toyline's history. I can get more into all of that in a mini-review for the guy.

Also, SDCC exclusive FoC Bruticus was supposed to be available on HTS by now, but hasn't made it there yet (none of the SDCC stuff has). However, I'm pretty confident that it will happen this week, and with luck I'll be able to nab the set and add another five FoC Decepticons to the ranks, which as of now only consist of Megatron, Soundwave and Shockwave. If i lose out, I guess I'll be ok with the retail versions. Blast-off actually looks better than the SDCC one, and Onslaught is more game accurate.

Beyond the Combaticons, I'm also really looking forward to Starscream, Kickback, Magnus, Sideswipe, and the Wreckers.

No comments: